What Do I Do if My Child Was Sexually Abused By a Teacher in Their School?

17th September 2021

Unfortunately, the worry about what to do if a child has been sexually abused by a teacher is becoming all too common for families in Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, Westfield, Lawrence, Washington Township and other Indiana school districts. The subject matter can be sensitive and difficult to discuss. Furthermore, children often do not want to talk about such a difficult topic.

In general, schools do a good job at ensuring the safety of children who are entrusted in their care. Periodically, however, instances arise where a school violated its duty to properly supervise its staff and the children entrusted to their stead.  

The first action one should take after learning of an inappropriate relationship between a teacher and a child is to immediately notify law enforcement and the department of child services. Indiana law imposes an obligation upon anyone who knows or suspects that a child is being abused to report the abuse or suspected abuse immediately to law enforcement or by calling the department of child services. 

The second action is to notify school administration and develop a plan to ensure the child is placed in a safe environment and receives appropriate counseling. Finally, it is important to seek competent, experienced legal counsel familiar who can guide you through options to seek compensation for any long-lasting injuries suffered because of the school’s actions or inactions or the teacher’s actions. You may be able to recover damages for your child for long lasting mental harm, counseling expenses, and other damages. 

Lawsuits against governmental entities, such as school districts, require specific statutory notice requirements. A failure to adhere to these statutory notice requirements may forever bar your ability to recover damages against the school district for any wrongful acts. If you believe that you have a claim against a school or school district, it is important to ensure you contact an attorney right away. 

If your child has been harmed by a teacher while at school, either physically or mentally, consider contacting the Indianapolis area attorneys at RileyCate, LLC to speak with them about whether you have a claim.