Toxic Chemical Exposure at Camp Lejeune

29th December 2022

Were you or a family member harmed by toxic chemicals while stationed at Camp Lejeune? If so, you may have a claim for yourself or your loved one. RileyCate, LLC is dedicated to assisting to helping those who have been affected by toxic chemical exposure at Camp Lejeune.

What is the Camp Lejeune Litigation?

Camp Lejeune is a U.S. Marine Corp. Base located in Jacksonville, North Carolina.  Beginning in 1953 and continuing until 1987, toxic chemicals were released into the water used by nearly one million military and civilians to drink, cook and bathe.  As a result, anyone who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during the years at issue, and suffered an injury, maybe entitled to compensation. Even if your loved one is deceased, you may still possess a claim on their behalf so long as proper documentation of their illness and time spent at Camp Lejeune can be obtained.

It is important to understand Camp Lejeune claims are not limited to members of the United States Marine Corp. Other branches of service such as the United States Navy and United States Coast Guard also had service members stationed at Camp Lejeune. Each of these branches of the United States military also employed civilian workers who spent time at Camp Lejeune. These civilian workers may also qualify to submit a claim provided claim criteria has been met.

Congress has already passed legislation earmarking funding for these claims. This means so long as you meet the criteria for a claim, there is chance you will receive compensation.

How do I make a claim?

In order to make a claim, you need to be able to prove that you lived or worked at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987 for at least thirty (30) days. You must also have suffered an injury that could be caused by the contaminated water.

If you meet this criteria, RileyCate, LLC will assist you with filing a Camp Lejeune Judicial Act (CLJA) claim form. This form will include your name, contact information, date of exposure, housing location and illness. This form is very important and must be filled out correctly, not doing so could lead to your claim being thrown out.

Do I need a lawyer to file my claim?

Though it is not required that you hire an attorney before submitting your admirative claim, it is strongly recommended.  It is crucial to your case that the CLJA clam form be completed properly. Lawyers like those at RileyCate, LLC, are skilled in this form completion process and are also skilled negotiators. The information included on the claim form will be the only items that you can prove later, should your case go to trial.

Why should I hire the attorneys at RileyCate, LLC?

RileyCate, LLC has hired experienced mass tort attorney, Jamie Kendall, to assist our clients by assembling proper documentation and completing claims against the federal government.  Ms. Kendall has extensive claims experience in mass tort cases such as Vioxx, Celebrex, Zyprexa, Avandia, YAZ, Yasmine and Ocella. Ms. Kendall’s time and expertise will be devoted solely to Camp Lejeune claims handled by RileyCate, LLC.

It is important to hire an experienced attorney to handle your claim. Congress has earmarked a finite amount of money to pay these claims making it important to submit your claim as soon as possible. Obtaining military and medical records can be a time consuming process, something the experienced attorneys at RileyCate, LLC can assist with.

What type of cases are the attorneys at RileyCate, LLC accepting?

  • Adult leukemia (e.g. AML, ALL, CLL)
  • Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Bladder cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Liver cancer
  • Rectal cancer
  • Breast cancer (male or female
  • Pancreatic cancer
  • Lung cancer
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Bain Cancer
  • Soft tissue sarcoma
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Amyotrophis Lateral Scherosis (ALS)
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Permanent Kidney Injury
  • Systemic Sclerosis/Scleroderma
  • Exposure during pregnancy:  if mother was living at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during the first and second trimester and the child was exposed in utero and has or had any of the following:
  • Cardiac birth defects
  • Childhood Leukemia
  • Neural tube defects such as Spina Bifida, Anencephaly

What can I expect?

After hiring the attorneys at RileyCate, LLC our first step is helping you prove that you lived at Camp Lejeune during the time frame at issue and were in fact exposed to the contaminated water.  This is imperative before filing a claim.  Next will be establishing your diagnosis.  We will  work with you to complete the claim form and submit it to the Office of the Judge Advocate General of the Navy’s Tort Claims Unit in Norfolk, Virginia on your behalf.

The Department of Justice, will have six months to respond to the claim.  If we are unable to negotiate an agreed settlement with the government through the claims process, we will have the option of filing suit in the U.S District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. Filing a claims does not mean you have to file a lawsuit. A claim is processed administratively. If your claim is denied or you are not satisfied with the offered claim amount, you may choose to file a lawsuit. The attorneys at RileyCate, LLC can assist you by providing advice on whether it makes sense to file a lawsuit after the claims process.

Clients across the country have already entrusted RileyCate, LLC to handle their Camp Lejeune claims. We are actively taking these cases and have already started securing military records and medical records necessary to submit claims.

If you believe you have a claim for yourself or a loved one as the result of toxic chemical exposure while at Camp Lejeune, contact RileyCate, LLC now. If you are uncertain whether or not you have a claim, contact RileyCate, LLC and our attorneys can help you determine whether or not you have a claim.